Our HistoryOur group has been in practice over 50 years.
Founded in 1958 by Dr. M. Hobson Rice, Eye Physicians & Surgeons, PC is the successor name of Rice, Rowell, McDowell & Fite PC, incorporated in 1979.
Dr. Rice was the first ophthalmologist to practice in Dekalb County.
Then in 1962, Dr. Roger R. Rowell joined Dr. Rice in practice. Dr. Charles W. McDowell, Jr. joined Dr. Rice and Dr. Rowell in 1964 and Dr. J. Donald Fite joined the group in 1967 and retired in 1993. Dr. Rice retired in 2002 and he passed away in 2010. Dr. Rowell is now retired and enjoying his leisure time.
Our name changed to Eye Physicians & Surgeons, PC in 1984 when Dr. Peter A. Gordon joined the practice. Our practice steadily grew with the addition of a glaucoma specialist, Dr. Paul E. McManus in 1989, a retina specialist, Dr. John W. Thomas in 1995, and a cornea specialist, Dr. Laura A. Bealer in 1997. We achieved further growth with the addition of comprehensive ophthalmologist, Dr. Indira Menon in 1999, pediatric ophthalmologist, Dr. Christina L. Weeks in 2002, comprehensive ophthalmologist, Dr. Ajeet Dhingra in 2003 and glaucoma ophthalmologist, Dr. Shalin Shah in 2015.
Until 1979, we were located in downtown Decatur. In 1979, the practice incorporated and moved to a new location at 500 Irvin Ct. in Decatur, GA.
In 1997, we opened a satellite office at The Medical Quarters in Atlanta, GA. The satellite office moved in 2004 to the Peachtree Dunwoody Pavilion located at 5775 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd., Atlanta, GA.
In 2000, the practice opened the Atlanta LASIK Center, to provide vision correction services for our patients.
By 2006, we had outgrown our main office on Irvin Ct. and with a desire to continue providing services to the Decatur/Dekalb community, a new location was found at 1457 Scott Blvd. In September 2006, we moved to our current location at 1457 Scott Blvd.
In November 2008, an ambulatory surgery center, EPS Surgical Center, LLC was added to provide surgical services in an outpatient setting for our surgical patients.